Friday, November 11, 2011

First Dollars Spent

Up until a few days ago, all of the work we had done in terms of looking into adoption has been free and completely non-commital.  Well, with our first $500 check, that has all changed.  This past week, Carla and I filled out the first paperwork for The Cradle.  There is an initial application that is little more than filling out our names.  We filled that out and filled out the worksheet that went along with it.  The worksheet was an interesting activity.  We had to write down our reasons for wanting to adopt and also write down misconceptions about adoption that we have heard or have been told by other people.

As we worked on both the application and worksheet, we couldn't help but feel as if every answer that we wrote down was a kind of test.  Will someone think we are unfit to adopt because of an answer we write down?  Are they trying to trick us?  Now I know that none of these forms were any kind of test and that there are no judgements on our answers, but I still can't help but feel this way. It was probably a good think to think about because it helped me to resist my natural inclination to make bad jokes that I find funny but that often get me into trouble.  Those of you who know me, know that these jokes pop up at all the wrong times and I am going to try my hardest to make sure that doesn't happen around these fine adoption folks.

So on Wednesday morning, I took our paperwork and check into work to mail.  They are currently on their way to The Cradle and once they are received we will be assigned our counselor and have an initial meeting with him or her.  It's funny, but paying money has made this all seem much more real and much more official.  There is LOTS more money to be spent as the costs of adoption add up quickly.  But this first, small payment, has brought so much excitement and anticipation.  I am ready to get this process going and I am thankful that we chose an agency that is going to really be with us every single step of the way.  I like knowing that our application, worksheet, and check are currently on their way to the adoption agency.  I like knowing that soon we will be meeting the man or woman who is going to take us through this process.  I like knowing that it is all really beginning.

On a funny side note, the checks that Carla and I have, benefit the humane society and Carla pointed out that the check we were sending to The Cradle had written across the top, "Adopt your new best friend."  Again, hopefully they don't mistake this as some sort of bad joke.

4 comments:

  1. I love that your check said that. It's bashert!

    This is the beginning of it all--the wait, the anxiety, the anticipation, the doubts, and at the end of all of it all the feeling that the stars have aligned to bring you and your birthmother together and the absolute knowing that the baby in your arms is the baby that was meat to be yours.

    This is your pregnancy, your test of resolve and faith. Enjoy the ride - the ups and downs and everything in between. It's not an easy thing, but it is something that will result in parenthood for the both of you. It's hard now in the beginning, but in the end you will look back on this time with peace and wisdom that everything that was meant to be was.

    We are all rooting for you over here!!

    PS- Aaron says - don't forget to track your expenses for the Adoption Tax Credit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thank you both for those very different pieces of advice. Both equally helpful. We feel lucky to know we have you behind us! Thank you. For everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skill as a writer, your sensitivity and your humor as well as insights are revealed on your blog.

    I am thrilled that you and Carla are so happy and that you start the adoption process with such a positive attitude.

    I am proud to have you as a daughter of mine!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, you and mom have always been my biggest fans. I am lucky to have you two! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete