Monday, November 28, 2011

A Slight Change in Plans

Today was my first day back to work after a lovely five day break filled with a bit of work, but mostly just good times filled with family and friends (and shopping!).  Carla and I got a large portion of our holiday shopping done because I am determined to make this the year that we DON'T have to stop at Walmart or Target on Christmas Eve to pick up "just a few more things."  I must say that I am rather impressed with the shopping we did on Sunday.  We even went into a skateboard shop and custom built a skateboard for Carla's nephew.  We fully admitted to the lovely 12-year old helping us that we knew nothing about skateboards, but he was incredibly helpful anyway.  We now have a rather gruesome looking skateboard sitting in our hallway.  I am pretty sure this makes us the coolest aunt's ever.

Anyway,  I was sitting at my desk this morning while my students were in foreign language and I saw a text from Carla telling me to call her when I have a chance.  Now, this is a pretty rare thing.  Being a teacher is not one of those jobs that allows us to pick up the phone and make a call when you need to.  There are a lot of great perks about being a teacher, this just doesn't happen to be one of them.  So it is rare for Carla to ask me to call her during the work day and usually it doesn't mean good news.

So of course I began to panic, but had to wait until the kids were leaving the room for P.E. to be able to make the phone call.  So I instead decided to stealthily text Carla to find out what was going on.  Now this is no easy task as I hate for my students to see me texting during the work day and since they have the attention span of fleas with ADHD, it's hard to do much without distracting them.

So anyway, I texted Carla and I come to find out that our original adoption counselor, who we have yet to meet, just left on family leave.  So, our new counselor called Carla and was able to see us THIS FRIDAY instead of next Friday in order to do our initial consultation.  Yep, that's right.  That is only four days from today.  It works out well for both of us, since Carla's birthday is on Friday and I was planning to take the whole day off anyway. Now, we will be able to take this big and exciting step as a part of her birthday celebration.  I am thrilled.

I am sure as the day gets closer, I will become more nervous and think of many more things to worry about, but for today I am just excited.  Excited to really get this process started.  Excited to meet face-to-face with someone who is actually going to be able to help us to adopt a baby.  And excited to know that we get to have this meeting a whole week sooner than we thought we would.  Now I recognize that in the long run, one week does not make much of a difference.  But I just cannot explain how excited we are to have this meeting to look forward to.

So all in all, I must say that this news certainly helped to make the day a little bit easier and better.  Now, I just have to get through the next three and I can only imagine how painfully long those are going to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment